Sunday, October 12, 2008

This Can't Be Right!!!


Last month dad had a doctor's apt. I went with him and listened as the doctor told him that he has high blood pressure and needs to be on meds. You know your dad, there was no way he was going to take meds......he insisted that he doesn't have high blood pressure. So, he told the doctor that for the next month he was going to work out more often, watch his diet, and keep track of his blood pressure daily. He's done fairly well with the first two and excellent with the third....every day he sees the doctor at Honeywell and has his blood pressure taken. It's always around 126/77. So, thank goodness he didn't take the meds because I understand that once you start taking high blood pressure meds, you're on them for life! In the meantime, I talked him into buying our own blood pressure machine. Well, his blood pressure is great! Mine on the other hand is AWFUL! If the doctor saw it, he'd insist I go on meds! NO WAY! Instead, I'm going to work out more often, watch my diet, and keep track of my blood pressure. I'm giving myself a month. If I can't get it to improve, I'll conceed and see the doctor. OUCH.


Dad had to work today so I went to church by myself. It was a great meeting. The sacrament meeting talks were on enduring trials and the peace of Christ. The same kind of things were discussed in both Sunday School and Relief Society. Really a good day. I came away feeling spiritual feed. I have realized over the past year that we're given trials to make us stronger. I think sometimes we see trials as a punishment. I've been reading in Helaman and I've learned that the Lord gives us trials to keep us close to him. When things are easy we tend to neglect our relationship with the Lord. But, at the first sign of trouble, we're on our knees! At least that seems to be the way it works for me. Trials keep us humble. Amen to that. One of these days I hope to learn that lesson well enough that I won't need the trials to stay close to that Lord. I can finally say that I'm thankful for the trials I've had over the past few years. I would like to think that I'm a stronger, better person because of them. I KNOW that the Lord answers prayers because he's answered mine. I also know that He's always with me....even when I don't think He is. I love the gospel! My children are my joy and I love you all.

5 comments:

McRae Family said...

So true! I'm so glad you had a great Sunday and the meetings were good. Its hard to go through the trials but whenever you look back on them, there always seems to be something good that comes of it. I too am so grateful for that!!

poopie said...

I LOVE YOU TOOO!!!! What a coinkidink! Well that sucks that your blood pressure is so bad, try some vinigar water!hehehe. But on a better note your hair looks GREAT!! love you guys!

Chipsie said...

wow thats what our lessons was on yesterday! maybe we are on the same page! i have also learned to be thankful for my trials, mind you its always after the fact! i am thankful because they make me stronger, what a world we would live in if we didn't have trials, we would all be like infants lying around not wanting to move just incase we fell down!

G Gang said...

Hey Grandma Sprick - Thank you for your post today (or whenever you wrote it). It was nice to read - not the part about the high blood pressure.
Also thank you so much for Bella's birthday gift. We will have to work out a time so you can meet your new honorary grandson Trevor. He's still in the easy to hold, not fussy stage.

Cheryl said...

Hey if you want to go on walks with me let me know. I want to start getting fit too. We could walk after I drop my kids off at school about 8:10am???? Let me know.