Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Day!




I keep thinking that I need to write something on this blog but my life really isn't that interesting. I'm NOT complaining at all......I have learned that boring is a good thing.

But I did have a good day today. I haven't been in a cleaning mood for many months now and one finally hit me today! Our bedroom is a disaster! So I went to town........it's still not finished but it will be tomorrow. I couldn't believe the dust in here, I'm sure it was half an inch high! I did my wall unit today so tomorrow I'll get dad's in order. And I need to dust the window sills. They are especially bad. Bored yet?

Dad and I were getting ready to go to the gym tonite when I got a call from Cheryl. She's a young mother in our ward with cancer. I'm the compassionate service leader in our ward and I'm in charge of making sure that Cheryl is being taken care of. It's been a great experience for me on many levels. Getting to know Cheryl has been a blessing. Her courage is remarkable. I'm not sure I could handle what she's going through with the same grace as she. It's not just that I've never seen her without a smile.......there's something else but I'm not sure what it is. I do admire her and have really learned to love her. The women in our ward have been great. I usually have three meals a week going into Cheryl's home. I would say that 95% of the time, these women thank me for calling and giving them an opportunity to serve! WOW. I've done this calling before and it was like pulling teeth trying to get people to take a meal to someone. So it's been a true example of love and kindness to me. Makes me think of the scripture, "In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these.....ye have done it unto Me". I have to admit that I have never thanked someone for asking me to take a meal to a family in need! So it's been a good lesson for me.

Anyway, she called and told me she was going to enrichment tonite. Her husband works nights so it meant taking three kids with her. She had mentioned earlier in the week that she wanted to go but the thought of taking three kids on her own was hard. I told her that I'd go with her if she decided to go. So instead of gym, I went to enrichment with Cheryl. I have to tell you here that this is only the third time I've gone in the four years we've been in this ward!

Well, both Cheryl and I had a great time. The meeting was on service. Everyone wrote down a service that they were willing to do on an index card. All the cards were put in a jar and we sat in a circle taking turns picking a card from the jar. They did it like we do our white elephant gifts. You could either choose a new one or steal someone else's. There was everything from a meal, to cleaning, to babysitting, to homemade Christmas cards! My service was to make a dessert.....the bishop's wife got it. So this Sunday I'm making their dessert. I'm getting a carrot cake from a gal in our ward who got the recipie from a professional chef. She can bring me the cake but isn't allowed to share the recipie. Well, I make a dang good carrot cake so I'm looking forward to seeing if it's as good as mine! It'll be fun.

When we were coming home the lightening was all around us! It was so pretty! So, you know me, I had to come home and take a picture of it! It took a bit of doing but I did manage to get some pictures! So that's what I'm posting tonite.

Anyway, I'm thankful today for good examples! And I'm thankful for the opportunity to serve in the relief society. I love the Lord. Have a great day!

3 comments:

McRae Family said...

Those are some pretty sweet pictures, Mom!!! I likey a lot. What a cool idea to do a service white elephant. Its so nice to see such willing people, thats awesome. I don't know that I would have ever even thought to say thank you to a person asking me to serve...I'm happy to do it, but saying thank you would have never crossed my mind...cool! I'll have to remember that.

poopie said...

COOL pics mamsita!! I miss those nice Arizona storms! You know that ones where you aren't worried about a tornado coming down and sucking you up. Oh and guess what? I found a few arizona quarters! Do you want me to save some for you? I love you mommy!!

Chipsie said...

wow fun pics! fyi i sent part of your message over to my enrichment leader, what a great idea. i don't know that there is a better carrot cake recipe! so i am comming over today, will you make me some carrot cake?
theresa