Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering

Until an hour ago, I hadn't realized that today is 9/11. I happened to turn the TV on and I'm watching the History channel..."The Day The Towers Fell". I've seen it several times and it never ceases to amaze me how those images put me right back to that day. I remember thinking how surreal it all was. How could this be happening in the U.S.?

That morning Barron and I were still in bed. Val and Sam were getting ready for school. The phone rang and I answered it. Sarah, who was living in New York, called to tell us that a plane had just crashed into one of the Twin Towers. It was a short conversation as we immediately turned the television on. I don't think we had it on more than five minutes when we saw the second plane hit the second tower. It was so hard to digest what was going on. Suddenly there was talk about it being a terrorist attack and no one knew if or when another plane would target another place. We debated about having the kids go to school. I don't remember how we came to the conclusion to let them go, I just remember that they went. I don't remember the time frame but then the Pentagon was hit. Then the first tower fell and I remember thinking that if the first one fell, the second one was going to fall as well.

I was glued to the TV for the next month or more. I must have watched that plane hit the second tower a hundred times. It was so unbelievable. The news reports were bleak at best. The hospitals were expecting hundreds of patients and they waited and waited and waited. The hospitals never got the flood of patients they expected...there were few survivors. That night I heard a report that there were children who hadn't been picked up from daycare.

I hate remembering that day. It's so sad. Our country changed. I hate to admit it but that day I learned not to trust anyone who looked like a Muslim. Even when we went to Vegas a few weeks ago, I noticed that there were several young guys that looked like they were Muslims waiting for the same plane as us. I got myself into such a panic! They ended up leaving and I felt better. I HATE that I think and feel that way.

Anyway, I just wanted to remember and pay tribute to all those who died or lost loved ones that day.... to firefighters and police who died trying to save others...and to the human spirit that helps us to move on. I don't know anyone who died or anyone who lost someone from 9/11 but I do feel like I mourn with those people. I think in some small way, we all lost someone that day.

I haven't really been able to capture my thoughts very well....maybe there are no words. I'm thankful for my testimony of the gospel. That testimony helps me to understand why bad things happen to good people. I do love this counrty and I'm proud to be an American!

2 comments:

McRae Family said...

I think you put that into words so beautifully! I too remember that day too well. I don't think we will ever be able to forget the sadness that we felt that day. Thanks for the great post.

Chipsie said...

what a tragic day. what i remember about that day show what kind of a person i am, very selfish. i remember you calling and me quickly after digesting the information jump out of bed realize that i didn't have my years supply. i remember the multiple reminders the prophets have given us and how still i wasn't prepared. i remember going to the store and just buying the most random things. and then my worry of uncle Eldon i knew he was working near the world trade center and thought possibly he was in them. and the time it took for all to get word from him that he was ok.
so in this age of the great unknows, we should all remember what we have been told, if you are prepared you will not fear, both physically and spiritually! wow that was a long post, sorry!